The webtoon See You In My 19th Life is slated for a drama adaptation. The news was previously announced in early 2022, but the directors have finally cast their male lead. It was reported by TenAsia that actor Ahn Bo Hyun has been offered the role and was positively considering it. This would be Ahn Bo Hyun’s third webtoon adaptation after Itaewon Class and Yumi’s Cells. However, fans of the webtoon are reportedly against the casting.
See You In My 19th Life tells the story of Ju Won. She is in her 18th life and possesses a secret power – she can remember all of her past lives. She grows up alongside her childhood friend and crush, Moon Seo Ha. One day, Ju Won tragically passes away, and Seo Ha is forced to continue living. When her 18th life comes to an end, she vows to remember Seo Ha and track him down in her next life. Ju Won is reborn as Ban Ji Eum in her 19th life. She seeks out Seo Ha to reconnect with him.
Shin Hye Sun was previously tapped for the role of Ban Ji Eum. Described as witty and intelligent with a sense of childlike innocence, many felt that Shin Hye Sun was perfect for the role.
However, fans feel that Ahn Bo Hyun does not match up with the character of Moon Seo Ha. Moon Seo Ha was meant to be pale with an air of beauty and frailty, a little rude at the beginning but sweet at heart. Fans have been clamoring for a different casting given Ahn Bo Hyun’s muscular build and manly features.
- “Please, be careful with the casting…”
- “I wonder what the casting director is thinking…? I’m surprised because they have completely opposite images.”
- “I’m not going to expect anything [from the director].”
- “I guess he’s more popular than I expected.”
- “But Moon Seo Ha is sensitive and frail…?”
- “Shouldn’t they pick an actor who is paler and thinner such that you can feel a sort of frail beauty?”
- “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this many comments on a casting article.”
- “No, but he’s supposed to be willowy, sensitively beautiful, and pale…”
- “Just who did the casting????? It’s the first time I’m so surprised at a casting article.”
Initially, a few fan favorites in virtual castings were NCT‘s Jaehyun, Yang Se Jong, BTOB‘s Yook Sungjae, and Seo Kang Joon. Despite the concern over the possible casting, the production team has yet to respond. Stay tuned for more information on the drama!