Busker Busker‘s Jang Bumjoon has reportedly been discharged from the military due to a knee injury after serving for 1 year and 5 months.
The singer enlisted in the army in May 2017 and has been serving his military duties as a reservist after receiving his basic military training.
In June 2018, however, Jang Bumjoon suffered an injury to his knee and was considered for a military discharge. He eventually underwent surgery at a private hospital for the torn ligament in his knee and continued his treatment at an armed forces hospital. He was given a military discharge after officials decided that it would be difficult for him to continue his military service.
He was originally expected to be discharged in February 2019, but as a result of the injury, his discharge was moved up approximately 5 months. He was discharged on September 10.
Netizens expressed their sympathy for the singer for having an early discharge with only 5 months remaining in his service. The Korean society tends to have a stigma against those who do not complete their military service.
- “Military discharge when he only had a few months left…”
- “This is too bad. We hope for your full recovery.”
- “He must feel so terrible.”
- “He only had a few months left…He must feel awful.”
For example, malicious haters accused Jang Bumjoon of purposely injuring himself to try and avoid his remaining military duty.
- “Using tricks, tsk tsk.”
- “Jang Bumjoon, I believed in you…But I’m definitely avoiding your songs from now on.”
- “Well I guess he’s being discharged early.”