This iconic squad consists of Wanna One‘s Ha Sungwoon, SHINee‘s Taemin, EXO‘s Kai, BTS‘s Jimin, VIXX’s Ravi and HOTSHOT‘s Timoteo, who also participated in The Unit. Non-celebrity Jung Kwon Ho is a part of it as well. Let’s review some of their most adorable moments.
1. Taemin revealed that it’s always been his dream to make a crew with matching “padding” jackets and logos.
Taemin had each friend take a picture of their hand making a peace sign, and that’s how the logo was created.
As a result, fans starting calling this crew “Padding Friends”.
2. Kai, Taemin, and Timoteo have been friends since pre-debut, when they were all trainees at SM Entertainment.
They even celebrated important occasions like graduation together.
3. Kwon Ho has been a friend of theirs since junior high as well, and made an appearance with Kai at Taemin and APink Naeun‘s wedding on We Got Married.
4. The 2017 MAMA was especially giving, like when they released this fancam of Taemin, Kai and Sungwoon reacting to their BFF Jimin on stage.
5. Tears were shed when Wanna One won Male Group of the Year and Sungwoon went directly to Kai and Taemin for a hug.
6. The Wanna One GO! revealed that the squad gathered back stage for a couple hugs and selfies, as it was Sungwoon’s first time at the award show.
7. The squad even goes on trips together, like when Taemin, Kwon Ho, Timoteo, Kwon Ho and Kai went on a trip to Gapyeong.
They had a hilarious time playing and dancing in the water!
8. Taemin also shared that one of his favorite trips is when he went to Japan with Kai, Timoteo, and Kwon Ho!
9. They’re even there for each other through tough times too, like when Timoteo auditioned for The Unit — a show that Taemin was a mentor for.
Kai also revealed that they gathered to watched the episode with Timoteo’s audition, and they ended up shedding many tears.
He also shared that he teased Timoteo through his tears for slightly messing up the Kokobop choreography, even though Kai taught it to him.
jongin: we got together to watch the 1st ep of the unit and cried together since you did my song in front of taemin. i was like "moongyu-yahhhh :'( but you made a mistake in the choreo!! that [part] was wrong!! i taught you remember??" HAHAHA https://t.co/7V9Lh1Q2XG
— paddingfriends (@paddingfriends) July 19, 2018
10. When Ha Sungwoon was a contestant on Produce 101 Season 2, Jimin and Kai sent out messages of support for him too.
— 방탄소년단 (@BTS_twt) March 9, 2017
Please support Sungwoon-hyung a lot. He’s a hyung that is very kind and sings extremely well!
I’m EXO’s Kai who is cheering on Ha Sungwoon! First of all, our Sungwoon is very close to me and a dongsaeng I really like. He’s a good dancer, singer, cute, sexy, cool, everything. I hope you support him a lot and I hope Sungwoon will work hard and get good results!
Jimin even posted a screenshot of his attempt to vote for Ha Sung Woon during the finale, although the vote didn’t go through since he was in Japan at the time.
— 방탄소년단 (@BTS_twt) June 16, 2017
Hyung, you really endured hardship and worked hard. It’s so touching to watch you from the side, seeing how much you practiced and went through. You really went through a lot. Hahahaha, I’ve slept all I could. [Since the show broadcasted late on Friday nights]. Congratulations. #JIMIN #HaSungWoon
11. When Timoteo went all the way to the final episode of The Unit but didn’t make it into UNB, Kai left a sweet message for him on his V-Live.
<180211 카이 브이앱>
난 너희 사랑해😭/ pic.twitter.com/rVRJtLJPuD
— 우정패딩즈 (@friendpadding) February 12, 2018
Ah right, yesterday I saw that. The [show] my friend was on, Moongyu, TImoteo. Moongyu, I love you.
12. Timoteo also mentioned the Padding Friends in his thank you message after The Unit ended.
To my forever family Taemin, Jonginie (Kai), Kwon Ho, Jiminie, although I wanted to say it personally today but I couldn’t, Junhyukie, Taehyun, San-ie, (other HOTSHOT members), Sungwoon-ah. I love you. Thanks for cheering me on, I love you.
13. Jimin also expressed his love for his hyungs in the “Thanks To” in two albums.
Taeminie-hyung, Moongyu-hyung [Timoteo’s Korean name], Kwonho-hyung, Jonginie-hyung [Kai’s real name], Sungwoonie-hyung. Thank you so much, because of hyungs I have so much fun everyday.
— Jimin’s Thanks To in WINGS album
To the hyungs I cherish and love, Timo-hyung, Sungwoon-hyung, Taeminie-hyung, Kwonho-hyung, Jonginie-hyung. Since I see you as much as the members, it’s embarrasing to write these words but because of hyungs I enjoy every day. Now the maknae will treat for once. I love you.
— Jimin’s Thanks To in “You Never Walk Alone” album
14. Taemin has always worried about not having an “individual talent” to show off on variety shows, but Ha Sungwoon taught him the “karaoke echo talent”.
15. The squad has yet to perform together, however legendary stages have come out of their friendship.
Kai featured on Taemin’s first solo album on the track “Pretty Boy” and the two performed the song on music shows and at SMTOWN concerts.
16. Jimin and Taemin also put together a gorgeous stage for the 2016 KBS Song Festival.
17. When Ravi, Kai, Timoteo, Taemin, and Kwon Ho all went to Cebu together.
18. They’ve celebrated many wins together as well, like when “Spring Day” won Best Song of the Year.
19. Not to mention when “View” was #1 on M!Countdown.
20. Who could forget this adorable hug when “Fake Love” won number one on Music Core?
21. We’re pretty sure Kai cried harder than Taemin did when SHINee won Artist of the Year.
22. Even when they’re busy working they never forget to say hi, like Sungwoon and Jimin on Christmas at SBS Gayo Daejeon.
23. When Ha Sungwoon was challenged to get a friend to say “I Love You” to him within 1 minute, and he immediately called Jimin.
Ha Sungwoon on Late Night Idol was given a mission to call someone and hear “I love you.” He called Jimin, who he described as the friend, dongsaeng & sunbaenim he loves and cherishes the most.
🐥 yeah, hyungnim!
☁️ I love you!
🐥 yeah, I love you!
— 🎣 (@doolsetbangtan) September 2, 2019
24. Even when they’re apart, they always think of each other — like when Timoteo and Kai spotted the SHINee sign while shopping together.
moongyu posted jongin jumping in front of the shinee sign @ sm artium
jongin: just by looking at the silhouette of the person jumping, they seem handsome
moongyu: after jumping like that, they flew up to the sky…..😋 pic.twitter.com/m0jDkX0JBt
— paddingfriends (@paddingfriends) July 23, 2018
jongin posted a similar pic of moongyu in front of the sign too ❤️
it seems they went shopping at coex mall, judging by the big bags mg has hehe pic.twitter.com/CkeGzW3JrJ
— paddingfriends (@paddingfriends) July 23, 2018
25. Jimin wrote the names of the Padding Friends members on a chalkboard at M!Countdown, showing how much he loves them.
writing in the bottom right hand corner
— paddingfriends (@paddingfriends) June 7, 2018
We look forward to more adorable and heart-warming moments from the Padding Friends!